Welcome yloan.com
yloan.com » Eat Health » Learning To Enjoy Health Foods
Caring Management Nursing Home Rehabilitation Nursing Eat Health Special Care Exercise Health

Learning To Enjoy Health Foods

If you are like most of us, the mention of health food makes you think of something bland

, highly textured or disgusting.People have the impression that those who eat health foods have given up the pleasure of eating in exchange for better health.Not true. Contrary to what many of us believe, fibrous foods which constitute a healthy diet, can actually taste quite good!

The average American follows what nutritionists call the Standard American Diet or S.A.D.It is high in fat and sugar and includes very little raw fruits.For this reason, many of us prefer foods such as pie, pasta and cheese.However, shifting to a healthier diet doesn't mean eating tasteless foods.Health foods can be transformed into delicious entrees with a little creativity and imagination.

Most of us are not aware of how food can be a very personal thing.There are foods we absolutely love and others which we hate.There are also some foods that bring back strong memories especially those from our childhood.It may be your grandmother's specialty, the family recipe your mother always cooked whenever you visited, or a snack you often ate at the school cafeteria when you were in elementary.

When I was kid back in the 70's, my mom used to bring home meals bought from a local health food store.I enjoyed the vegetarian quiche and mashed potatoes but hated the sprout salad with seeds and raw cabbage.The smell of it was awful sulphur combined with bitter curry and pepper seasonings.My aversion to cabbage and anything curried persists to this day and I never really developed the taste for sprout salad.Whenever I smell curry, those childhood memories all come rushing back. Learning To Enjoy Health Foods

A good thing came out of it however.I found out that by adding my own touch to sprouts, curry or cabbage, they can taste a lot better.I do this by mixing in new flavors and ingredients and preparing them in such a way as to make them pleasing to both the eyes and the palate.I have learned so many things by reading cookbooks such as how to lightly steam cabbage, stir-fry mung beans to give it a Chinese touch, and add a dash of curry to lean chicken.The stir-fried mung beans which is low and fat and very nutritious, is now my favorite dish!

There are foods that we have to develop a taste for and admittedly, certain high fiber foods fall under this category.However, it is worth the effort to learn how to like them.In the meantime, enjoy the healthy foods that you do like or taste good such as fresh fruits and whole grain pasta and bread. By doing so you would be able to get the recommended intake of 25-30 grams of fiber daily.Gradually introducing fiber into your regular diet will cleanse your palate and open your taste buds wide and in time you will begin to actually enjoy the taste of health foods.

by:Charles Volcolatte
Magic Foods For Optimal Health Food Secrets Finally Revealed For Beautiful Skin Foods For Having A Healthier Liver 2 Foods That Are Healthy to Eat While On The Go Food Secrets Finally Revealed For Beautiful Skin Natural Prostate Health: With A Raw Food Diet
print
www.yloan.com guest:  register | login | search IP(3.16.67.54) / Processed in 0.007860 second(s), 6 queries , Gzip enabled debug code: 12 , 2875, 959,